Agency billing is used when the agency is responsible for billing the insured. This occurs when an agency is a wholesale agency or a surplus lines producer. BriteCore supports wholesale agencies, or agencies using agency billing, by sending invoices to the agency rather than the insured.
Create billing schedule for agency billing
To use agency billing, you will need to set up a billing schedule it. Instructions on how to add a new billing schedule are included in a separate post. See Set up or edit billing schedules for details on how to add a new billing schedule. Complete the following to ensure the billing schedule is set up and used appropriately for agency billing:
- In the Name of Billing Schedule box, type Agency Billing.
- In the Bill to Whom subsection of the Limit Availability To section, select the Agent/Agency checkbox.
- In the Timeline section, make sure the number(s) provided in the Payment is Due on Day column won’timmediately cause the policy to cancel. This will ensure that there is enough time to receive payment from the agency.
Enable agency billing
To enable agency billing, you must turn on the Agency is on Agency Billing setting within the agency contact.
- Navigate to Contacts.
- Search for and access the agency.
- Navigate to the Role section. Ensure, Agency is displayed in the Role dropdown list.
- Navigate to the Notices section.
- Select the Do not print invoices when this agency is the bill whom and Agency is on Agency Billing checkboxes.
Note: If you select Agency is on Agency Billing first, the system will automatically select Do not print invoices when this agency is the bill whom.
- Select Save.
If the Agency is on Agency Billing setting is enabled, it applies to all agents within the agency. The Do not print invoices when this agency is the bill whom and the Agency is on Agency Billing checkboxes don’t appear for the Agent role, because agency billing is set at the agency level, not the agent level.
If an agency has the Agency is on Agency Billing setting enabled, the billing information will automatically be added to the Billing tab when quoting. When in the Agent portal, the Billing tab won’t be visible. When in the Provider Administrator portal, the Billing tab will be read-only.
Exclude line items from agency billing
Line items can be excluded from agency billing. This is determined by the setting Line item does not apply if policy is on Agency Billing. If the setting is enabled, the line item won’t present on the Rating screen or affect the rating.
To exclude line items from agency billing:
- Navigate to Lines.
- Select the effective date of the line(s) you want to exclude.
- From the Select State or Province dropdown list, select the state or province associated with the line(s) you want to exclude.
- Open the policy type associated with the line(s) you want to exclude by selecting the pencil icon.
- In the list of Line Items, open the line item you want to exclude by selecting the pencil icon. The Edit Line Item dialog box will open.
- Navigate to Setup > Options.
- Select the Line item does not apply if policy is on Agency Billing checkbox.
- Select Save.
Hide billing folders for agency billing
The billing folders within the policy’s Attachments screen can be hidden for agencies using agency billing.
To hide billing folders for agencies using agency billing:
- Navigate to Settings > Modules > Policies > Attachments.
- Select the Do Not Show Billing Folders when on Agency Billing checkbox.
- Select Save.
Subtract agency commission from the invoice
When you use agency billing, BriteCore sends the invoice to the agency rather than the insured, and the agency bills the insured. The invoice that BriteCore sends to the agency shouldn’t reflect the commission paid. The invoice should reflect only what the insured should pay. The advanced setting show_agency_commission_and_premium_separately will subtract the commission from the premium and display what the insured owes on the invoice. The Agency Commission amount will display under Premium Breakdown on the Billing Overview tab of the Accounts Receivable screen.
To enable this setting:
- Navigate to Settings > Advanced.
- Search for show_agency_commission_and_premium_separately.
- Select True.
Note: Customization of billing statements might be necessary to reflect the information that you and the agency want to display.
When an account in BriteCore is agency billed, the invoices will be stored in Attachments but will be set to Do Not Print. As a result, the agency should bill the insured upon receiving the declaration.
Add existing policy to agency billing
If you need to change an existing policy to agency billing:
- Access the policy you need to change to agency billing.
- Navigate to the Billing Setup tab of the policy’s Accounts Receivable screen.
- From the Recipient dropdown list, under Recurring Billing Contact, select the agency. The Invoice Frequency dropdown will automatically update to display Agency Billing.