If clients set up additional geographical boundaries, they can rate based upon geographical location.
The census Block Group is a geographical unit used by the United States Census Bureau that is between the Census Tract and the Census Block. It is the smallest geographical unit for which the bureau publishes sample data, such as data that is collected from only a fraction of all households. Typically, Block Groups have a population of 600 to 3,000 people.
Waterway polygons identify the shape of waterways.
When a client collects both census block group and waterway polygons, they can query the data from each to determine if a specific latitude and longitude are contained within a given polygon for rating purposes.
Follow the instructions below when:
- Applying data obtained from a web service to determine whether specific latitudes and longitudes are contained within a given polygon for rating purposes.
- Importing census block group and miscellaneous polygon data into new categories (census_block_groups and waterway_polygons).
Load Shapefile data
To load Shapefile data:
- In your web browser, navigate to https://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles/index.php.
- In the Select a layer type dropdown, select Block Groups, and then, select Submit.
- In the Select a State dropdown, select the applicable state, and then, select Download.
- On the server running the import, complete the following steps:
- In a temp directory, add the file you downloaded.
- Ensure bin/postfix_scripts/281_add_geometry_tables.py has run and the database tables exist.
- Run python bin/load_shapefile_data.py -c -p to import the shapefile you downloaded.
Note: To test truncate functionality and truncate the table before populating, add the -t argument.
- To import data as a waterway polygon, repeat steps 4b and 4c while omitting the -c flag.
Add rating categories
To add use-census-blockgroups and use-waterway-polygons as new rating categories:
- Log in to BriteCore as an Administrator.
- In the BriteCore menu, select Settings.
- On the Settings screen, select Advanced.
- On the Advanced Settings screen, in the search box, type use-census-block-groups.
- In the use-census-block-groups box, select True.
- In the search box, type use-waterway-polygons.
- In the use-waterway-polygons box, select True.
- In the BriteCore menu, select Lines.
- On the Effective Dates screen, select the applicable effective date.
- On the Policy Types screen, complete the following steps:
- In the Select State or Province dropdown, select a state or province.
- Navigate to the applicable Policy Type, and then select Edit .
- On the Details screen, in the Primary Exposures section, navigate to the applicable Line Item, and then select Edit .
- On the Edit Line Item screen, select Rating, and complete the following steps:
- In the Rate Chain section, select Add to Chain .
- In the Rate Object dropdown list, select Categories.
- In the Chain Details section, select Rate Categories, and then select Add a Category .
- In the Category dialog box, in the Category Type dropdown list, select Census Block Group, and then select Done.
- At the bottom of the screen, select Save, and then select Exit.