Policy numbering exists as a form of account maintenance. Specifically, it is a way to link a policy to a unique ID.
You can use Version 1 or Version 2 of Policy Lifecycle Numbering:
- Version 1: Out of the box numbering system end to end (quote > app > policy) with some customization
- Version 2: Fully customizable numbering across the policy lifecycle
Version 1: Out of the Box
Out of the Box Numbering System
The default policy numbering sequence has the following attributes:
- A structure of 10-YYYY-1 that is true regardless of line of business
- Each new quote, application, and policy starts at 1 and increments by 1. For example, 10-2019-1, 10-2019-2, 10-2019-3, etc.
- The numbering sequence starts over each year and reflects the new year. For example:
- In the year 2019, the policy numbers will be 10-2019-1, 10-2019-2, 10-2019-3, etc.
- In the year 2020, the policy numbers will be 10-2020-1, 10-2020-2, 10-2020-3, etc.
The default policy numbering sequence can be slightly customized by adjusting the prefix and/or suffix. To customize:
- Navigate to Settings > Modules > Policies > Policy Numbers
- Amend either the prefix or suffix
- Click Save
- The prefix can be up to 6 alphanumeric characters and the suffix any number between 1 and 100,000 as the starting point
Exs: ABC-2018-1000 and DEFGH-2018-10000
Once customized, the policy numbering will follow the same logic as indicated above whereby each new quote, application and policy will increment by 1 but starting and the sequence will begin anew at the inception of a new calendar year.
Version 2: Full Customization
A fully customizable numbering system was created to increase numbering flexibility and support the following scenarios:
- Have a different numbering sequence by line of business
- Have the quote and application number be different from the policy number (e.g., Quote-2018-1 for quotes and applications becomes Policy-2018-1 once issued)
How to Enable
Contact the lead engineer for your project.