Billing occurs at the individual policy level on a policy's Accounts Receivable screen, which you can access by opening a policy, and then selecting Accounts Receivable.
The Accounts Receivable screen displays:
- Policy header
- Billing Overview tab
- Billing Setup tab
Billing information for a specific policy is organized on the Accounts Receivable screen across the Billing Overview and Billing Setup tabs.
Note: The policy header is static, so it will remain at the top of the screen when you scroll.
The static policy header provides quick access to important policy information:
- Named Insured: The Named Insured is prominently displayed as a link. When you select the Named Insured link, you are automatically directed to the contact's Information screen in the Contacts module.
- Policy Number/Group Billing Number: The Policy Number or Group Billing Number is next to the Named Insured link.
Note: If you access a single policy, then the Policy Number will display, but if you access a linked policy, then the Group Billing Number will display.
- Policy Status: The status of the policy will display directly below the named insured. A policy's status is indicated by the status label and the color of the accompanying circle.
Example: If the policy status is Active, then a green circle will appear next to the label Active.
- Policy Term: The current policy term is displayed directly beneath the policy status.
Note: If more than one policy term exists, you can use the arrows next to the displayed policy term to navigate to other policy terms on the policy.
- Policy Type: The Policy Type section is next to Policy Term.
- Linked Policies: The number of Linked Policies is next to Policy Type.
Note: When you select the ellipsis in the top-right of the Linked Policies section, a menu will open with View and Edit options for the linked policy.
- Insured Mailing Address: The insured's address information is next to Linked Policies.
The Billing Overview tab is divided into three main sections:
- Policy Details
- Balance Details
- Account History
The Policy Details section (Figure 1) provides the following information:
- Displays the name of the agent/agency as a link.
- When you select the link, you're automatically directed to the contact's Information screen in the Contacts module.
- Displays the name of the Mortgagee as a link. When you select the link, you're automatically directed to the contact's Information screen in the Contacts module.
- Total Non-Pays:
- Displays the number of non-pays on the policy as a link.
- When you select the link, the Legacy Non-Pays dialog box opens where you can view the non-pays or add a non-pay.
- Displays the number of claims filed against the policy as a link.
- When you select the link, the Claims History dialog box will open with a list of all claims filed against the policy. The claim numbers will be listed and displayed as a link. When you select the claim number link, you're directed to the Information screen of the claim.
- Premium Records: When you select the Premium Records link, the Premium Records dialog box opens and displays information about the premium.
- Premium Breakdown: The Premium Breakdown subsection provides details about the premium of a policy:
- Total Written Premium: The total amount written, not earned, for the policy term.
- Premium Billed to Date: Amount of premium billed from the beginning of the policy term to today.
- Custom Fees Billed to Date: Amount of custom fees billed from the beginning of the policy term to today.
- System Fees Billed to Date: Amount of system fees billed from the beginning of the policy term to today.
- Total Paid to Date: Total amount paid from the beginning of the policy term to today.
Note: When the actual_paid_to_date advanced settings is enabled, the actual paid-to-date amount will display (even if the total amount paid to date is negative).
- Payoff Amount: Amount of remaining premium and installment fees.
Figure 1: Policy Details section of the Billing Overview tab on the Accounts Receivable screen.
The Balance Details section (Figure 2) provides the following information.
Note: In the Balance Details section, you can make a payment, edit billing dates, issue credit, and view the installment schedule.
- Make a Payment:
- Used with either Currently Due or Other.
- When you select Make a Payment after choosing to either pay the current amount due or another amount, the Make Payment dialog box will open, allowing you to select the payment type you want to make.
- Edit Billing Dates:
- Appears only if there is a due date.
- Allows you to change the invoice due date.
- When you change the due date, the system will automatically update the cancel date.
- When selected, the Edit Billing Dates dialog box opens, allowing you to update the invoice due date by changing the date in the Earliest Due On box.
- Issue Credit:
- If a credit exists on a policy, Issue Credit will appear.
- When you select Issue Credit, the Issue Credit dialog box opens.
- For more information, see Manually issue a return premium on a policy with a credit.
- Installment Schedule: When you select the Installment Schedule link, the Installment Schedule dialog box will open and display the Total Written Premium and indicate how it's distributed across installments.
Figure 2: Balance Details section of the Billing Overview tab on the Accounts Receivable screen.
The Account History section (Figure 3) provides the following information:
Note: You can also write off premium and custom fees and view the revision history and installment schedule.
- Write-off Premium:
- When you select the Write-off Premium link, the Write-Off Premium dialog box opens; here, you can set the amount of write-off and select the write-off reason.
- For more information, see Write off premium.
- Write-off Custom Fee: When you select the Write-off Custom Fee link, the Write-Off Custom Fee dialog box opens and you can set the amount of write-off and type the write-off reason.
- Show Revision History: When you select Show Revision History, you will be directed to the Revision History screen, where you can view all changes made to the policy.
- Installment Schedule: When you select Installment Schedule the Installment Schedule dialog box will open and display the Total Written Premium and indicate how it's distributed across installments.
- Show future invoices: When you select Show future invoices, the future invoices will populate in the Account History table.
Note: By default, future invoices are hidden.
Figure 3: Account History section of the Billing Overview tab on the Accounts Receivable screen.
Note: The Account History table is a ledger and should be read from top to bottom.
In the Account History table:
- Processed: Displays the date a transaction took place or, for future invoices, the date a transaction is scheduled to take place.
- Type: Displays the transaction type, such as Invoice, Payment, NSF, or Return Premium.
Note: If a deliverable was generated for the transaction, it will be linked in the Type column. Select the link to view a PDF copy of the deliverable in a new tab.
- Debit and Credit: Display the dollar amount of the transaction.
- Trailing Balance: Displays the amount due as of that date, including any unbilled installment fees.
- Summary: Displays the comments that were entered when the transaction was processed.
Note: In the Account History table, you can view the credits and debits for a previous term if the show_previous_credits_and_debits advanced setting is enabled.
- If the Account History table is blank, the policy may be canceled or the policy may be active but not in force.
- BriteCore generates invoices for in-force policies and endorsements.
- In BriteCore, the process of putting a policy or endorsement in-force is called committing a revision for property and casualty policies.
- BriteCore doesn't consider the policy in-force unless the policy is active and all open revisions are committed.
- To commit open revisions on a policy, you can return to the Policy Information screen and select Commit Revision to commit an open revision on a policy.
- Once you commit the revision, the Account History table will display policy information.
- For more information, see Commit revisions.
Note: A policy is active once the policy application is approved, but an active policy can have open revisions in BriteCore.
The Billing Setup tab (Figure 4) consists of the Billing Maintenance section, which is made up of the following subsections:
- Invoice Frequency
- Withdraw Funds When
- Invoice Due Date
- Recurring Billing Contact
- Initial Bill Contact
Note: The options selected in the Invoice Frequency, Withdraw Funds When, and Invoice Due Date subsections apply to both recurring and initial payments.
Figure 4: Billing Setup tab on the Accounts Receivable screen.
- The Invoice Frequency dropdown list allows you to select the billing schedule for the policy.
- If you select a billing schedule that differs from the original billing schedule, the Change Billing Schedule dialog box will open.
- For more information, see Select invoice frequency.
Withdraw Funds When
- The Withdraw Funds When dropdown list allows you to select how many days before the due date that funds should be withdrawn.
- Select this if the policy is set up on auto-pay.
- For more information, see Set up auto-pay.
Invoice Due Date
- You can change the invoice due date to a specific date of the month for single or linked policies.
- To change the invoice due date, select the date from the dropdown list.
- You can only select dates from 1st of the month -- 28th of the month, since not all months have a 29th, 30th, or 31st.
- If the policy is linked to another policy, after you select a date, the Apply Invoice Due Date to Linked Policies dialog box will open, where you can choose which policies to apply the new due date to.
Recurring Billing Contact
The Recurring Billing Contact section provides the following information:
- Recipient: From the Recipient dropdown list, you can select the contact that will receive the recurring bills.
- Payment Details:
- Address: From the Address dropdown list, you can select the recipient's address where the invoice(s) should be sent. Select the Address of the recipient.
- Payment Method: From the Payment Method dropdown list, you can select the payment method that will be used for recurring bills.
- When you select Add, the Payment Method dialog box will open and you can add new payment information.
- If you select Edit the Payment Method dialog box for the method displayed in the Payment Method dropdown list will open.
- You can make any necessary updates in this dialog box.
- For more information, see Add payment method.
Initial Bill Contact
The Initial Bill Contact section provides the following information:
- Send initial bill to different contact: When selected, the Initial Bill Contact read-only information becomes available for edits.
- Recipient: From the Recipient dropdown list, you can select the contact that will receive the initial bill.
- Payment Details:
- Address: From the Address dropdown list, you can select the recipient's address where the invoice should be sent.
- Payment Method: In the Payment Method dropdown list, select the payment method that will be used for the initial bill.
- Edit: When you select Edit, the Payment Method dialog box for the method displayed in the Payment Method dropdown list will open, allowing you to make any necessary updates.